Event Date & TimeClick the calendar icon to add events
to your Personal Calendar
UM Bannatyne: Basic Medical Sciences Building: Room-Frederic Gaspard Theatre
* You must be logged in to purchase event tickets.
The MEDS Conference is a powerful educational event that casts a critical eye on the balance of benefit and harm of the interventions we prescribe every day. A collaboration between the Max Rady College of Medicine and College of Pharmacy, this full day Saturday event is free of industry support. It features accomplished speakers that will entertain and sharpen your judgement as you make therapeutic decisions with your patients.
At the conclusion of this educational activity, the participant should be able to:
- Identify the strengths and limitations of the medical evidence and clinical practice guidelines for common health conditions. (scholar, medical expert)
- Explore practical approaches to challenging therapeutic issues including medical reversals using clinical evidence and clinician expertise. (Medical expert, Scholar)
- Explain pragmatic best practices in pharmacological management of common cardiovascular rhythm and ischemic disorders. (Medical expert, Scholar)
- Discuss strategies in the management of insomnias and how to communicate these strategies when deprescribing hypnotics and discussing non-pharmacological options with patients and other health care providers. (Medical expert, Communicator, Collaborator)
- Understand the responsibility of health professionals to effectively incorporate patient preference and values into therapeutic decision-making. (Communicator)
- Review the latest in management of urinary tract infections and communicate the tenets of antibiotic stewardship. (Medical Expert, Health Advocate)
- Discuss updates in the indications and utility of pneumococcal and influenza vaccines. (Medical Expert, Scholar)
0900 – Welcome and Introductions
0915 – Taking the BM out of EBM (a year in review)– Shawn Bugden and Jamie Falk
1015 – Treating Depression in Primary Care: Antidepressant Medication versus Alternatives – Murray Enns
1050 – Refreshment break
1105 – Audience Poll
1110 – Being Medical Conservative in Cardiology- John Mandrola
1210 – Lunch
1300 – Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics- Shawn Bugden
1325 – Can you refill my Zopiclone? And Other Bed Time Stories- Karen Toews and Grace Frankel
1400 – Audience Poll
1405 – 4 hot speakers, 4 hot topics- Julie Mistri, Colin Reeve, Nicole Nakatsu, Jamie Falk
1435– Back to the Future: Medical Reversals with 2020 vision- Cody Magnusson
1500 – Refreshment Break
1515 – Treating Outpatient Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) in 2020: What to do?- George Zhanel
1540 – The Pineapple Express is Driving Miss Daisy to use Cannabis – Jamie Falk
1610 – Update in influenza and Pneumococcal Vaccination: Why, When, and How? – George Zhanel
1635 – End/Closing
Dr. John Mandrola, MD, F.A.C.C.
Dr. John Mandrola is board-certified in cardiovascular disease, internal medicine, and cardiac electrophysiology, a sub-specialty dealing with heart rhythm disorders. He is a fellow of the American College of Cardiology.
Dr. John Mandrola practices cardiac electrophysiology at Baptist Health in Louisville, KY. Electrophysiology is a specialty within cardiology that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of patients with heart rhythm disorders. He is a graduate of Hobart and William Smith College and the University of Connecticut Medical School. He received his internal medicine, cardiology, and electrophysiology training at Indiana University. He was awarded the outstanding fellow award in his final year of training.
This is an inter-professional conference targeting all specialist disciplines, physicians, pharmacists, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, residents, medical and pharmacy students, and other health professionals.
Early Bird Registration Fees
Register before January 25 and save!
Physician Early Bird: $200.00
Pharmacists Early Bird: $85.00
Other Health Professional Early Bird: $85.00
Resident Early Bird: $50.00
Student Early Bird: $30.00
Registration Fees after January 25
Other Health Professional: $100.00
This event is also available via livestream. You will be emailed connection information prior to the event.
A full refund less a $35 administrative fee will be given if cancelled 14 days or more before each event date. No refund will be given past this date.
This event was co-developed with the CPD Medicine Program, University of Manitoba and was planned to achieve scientific integrity, objectivity and balance.
This one-credit-per-hour Group Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been approved by the CPD Medicine Program, University of Manitoba for up to 6.0 Mainpro+ credits.
This event is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the CPD Medicine Program, University of Manitoba for a maximum of 6.0 hours.
Participants should only claim credit for the actual number of hours attended.
The University of Manitoba CPD Medicine Program is fully accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Continuing Medical Education (CACME).
This program is designated an accredited learning activity by the College of Pharmacists of Manitoba for a maximum of 6.25 CEU.