Event Date & TimeClick the calendar icon to add events
to your Personal Calendar
Digitally through the University of Manitoba
* You must be logged in to purchase event tickets.
This event will be held online only
Cardiovascular disease continues to be a major disease burden in terms of both mortality and health related quality of life, and is an important source of health inequalities between populations in Canada. This one-day program will provide an overview of controversies and uncertainties in the areas of treatment and intervention of cardiovascular disease.
This event is of interest to Rural and Remote Practicing Family Physicians, Urban Practicing Family Physicians, Academic Family Physicians and Residents.
- Learn about several new agents being promoted for the treatment of ischemic heart disease.
- Understand current approaches to coronary artery revascularization and aortic and mitral valve interventions.
- Enhance skills in EKG interpretation
- Understand why hypoglycemia agents are now recommended for patients without diabetes
- Understand when to consider interventions in AFib and PFO closure.
- Participate In a choice of workshops regarding AFib, CHF and EKG interpretation
Panel 1 – New agents for the treatment of coronary artery disease (CAD)
0840 – NOACs for stable CAD – Amir Ravandi, MD, PhD, FRCP (C)
0900 – Statins for the very elderly – John Ducas, MDCM, FRCPC
0920 – Panel 1 Q&A
Panel 2 – Updates in Cardiology
0940 – Who really needs revascularization? – Kunil Minhas, MD, FRCPC
1000 – Who really needs to have a mitral valve intervention for MR? – Steven Promislow, MD, FRCPC
1020 – Panel 2 Q&A
1040 – Stretch Break
1050 – EKG skills-Emphasizing the Basics – Andrew Morris, MD, F.A.C.C.
1130 – Lunch & Exhibitor Hall
1200 – Special Lecture – Diabetic Pills and CV risk reduction – Veena Agrawal, MD
Panel 3 – Understanding interventions about which patients ask
1300 – Ablation for AFib. When? How? Risk? Effectiveness? – Clarence Khoo, MD, FRCPC
1320 – Should every PFO be closed? Why wait for symptoms? – Ashish Shah, MD, MD-Research (UK), FRCP
13:40 – Panel 3Q&A
14:00 – Stretch break
1410 – Workshops
You will have the option in Zoom to choose one of the following three breakout sessions.
- Atrial fibrillation and flutter – Clarence Khoo, MD, FRCPC
- Congestive heart failure – Kiran Sidhu, MD, FRCPC
- EKG-Skill enhancement in EKG interpretation – Liane Arcinas, MD, FRCPC
15:40 – Workshop Q&A
1600 – Wrap-up discussion – Open Q&A
Allied Health Professionals: $95
This event will be held online. Connection details will be emailed to registered participants 24 hours prior to the event.
This one-credit-per-hour Group Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been approved by the CPD Medicine Program, University of Manitoba for up to 7.0 Mainpro+ credits.
This event is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the CPD Medicine Program, University of Manitoba for a maximum of 7.0 hours.
The University of Manitoba CPD Medicine Program is fully accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Continuing Medical Education (CACME).