Event Date & TimeClick the calendar icon to add events
to your Personal Calendar
UM Bannatyne: Clinical Learning Simulation Facility
* You must be logged in to purchase event tickets.
CPoCUS IP-Core Certification Exams Course
Tuesday, April 9, 2019
The Section of Ultrasound, within the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Manitoba, is pleased to offer a 1-day certification exam course in point-of-care-ultrasound for INDEPENDENT PRACTITIONER STATUS in the CORE APPLICATIONS. Attaining competency under the guidelines set out by the Canadian Point of Care Ultrasound Society (CPoCUS; formerly CEUS), participants will obtain their full IP status, recognized nationally, in the applications of eFAST (including core lungs for pneumothorax & hemothorax), aorta, subxiphoid view of the heart, and 1st trimester Obstetrics.
This 1-day course (9am – 4pm) will include the delivery of the CPoCUS written, visual and practical exams, which are done one-on-one with an instructor.
The prerequisite for this exam certification course include:
1) An introductory ultrasound course. The completion of an introductory course will ensure consolidation of the basic foundation and skills required for your certification exams.
2) 50 determinate scans in the areas of FAST, aorta, subxiphoid cardiac, 1st trimester OBs and 20 determinate scans in core lungs for pneumothorax/hemothorax/pleural effusions.
- Cost of registration is $1000 per participant
- There are 3 sets of CPoCUS national exams (written/visual/practical). The CPoCUS written exam is online thus, it is imperative that each participant must register for a membership with CPoCUS ($25 plus subsequent IP number issuance of $100) on their own prior to the course. The DEM is not responsible for paying for your organizational membership fees (ie. CAEP, ACEP, CPoCUS, etc). Without your $25 membership registration with CPoCUS, you will not be able to access the written exam at our course. The link for registering for membership with CPoCUS is: http://www.cpocus.ca/training-exams/ceus-examinations/core-written-exam-public/
- Once a participant has successfully passed our IP course, the results will be submitted to CPoCUS.
- Each participant will then receive a separate email from CPoCUS requesting submission of $100 fee for issuance of the IP registration number and certificate.
If you have further questions, please contact Jan Middleton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The course is very resource intensive, with much effort being provided by the Department of Emergency Medicine. There are a limited number of spots for each course, and it can be difficult to find participants to fill spots that open up due to cancellation. In light of this, cancellations greater than 8 weeks from the course date will receive a FULL refund, minus $100 administration fee. Cancellations with 6-8 weeks of the course date will receive a 50% refund, and there are no refunds for cancellations less than 6 weeks from the course date. Participants who have registered may transfer their registration to another person, but this responsibility lies with the original participant. We will try to help find a replacement, but in the event one cannot be found, participants WILL NOT receive a refund (if within 6 weeks of the course). Please contact Jan Middleton at 204-272-3066 or Jan.Middleton@umanitoba.ca for any cancellation and transfer requests.
Continuing Medical Education Credits:
CPOCUS IP-Core Course
This activity is an Accredited Simulation Activity (Section 3) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of The Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the CPD Medicine Program, University of Manitoba on October 14, 2015 and expires October 2018. Remember to visit MAINPORT to record your learning and outcomes. You may claim a maximum of 25.0 hours (credits are automatically calculated). Participants should only claim credit for the actual number of hours attended. The University of Manitoba CPD Medicine Program is fully accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Continuing Medical Education (CACME)