Event Date & TimeClick the calendar icon to add events to your Personal Calendar
In this training workshop you will learn the 5-session Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with mindfulness (CBTm) class content, developed in partnership by a team of psychiatrists, psychologists, mental health clinicians, and participants. At the end of the training, the CBTm Hub Team will provide mentorship to allow you to feel prepared to use the class content in your role with your patients/clients. The training may also provide you with helpful skills for your own life.
What is CBTm?
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with Mindfulness (CBTm) is a skill-based educational program designed to help build resilience and improve mental wellbeing through evidence-based self-management strategies.
- The development of this program began in 2016 with a Manitoba Patient Access Network Grant, with the goal of improving timely access to evidence-informed mental health care.
Why should I participate in this training?
- To learn about the development of the CBTm program from the CBTm Hub Team.
- To learn key cognitive and behavioural concepts, and how to apply them with your clients/patients.
- To learn about good quality resources and gain access to CBTm materials (i.e., PowerPoint slides and handouts) to deliver the program in group settings or on an individual-basis with your clients.
Training will include content focused on:
- The Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) model
- Mindfulness meditation principles and tools
- Goal setting, using the SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound) strategy
- Healthy and realistic thinking, including common thinking traps
- Basics of behaviour therapy
- Healthy living strategies that can improve mood and anxiety (e.g., caffeine intake, healthy eating, alcohol or substance use, sleep hygiene)
- Anger, assertiveness, and self-compassion
- Problem-solving techniques
- Coping with stress and wellness planning
- Learn about the development of and rationale behind CBTm classes for mood, anxiety, and posttraumatic stress symptoms/disorder.
- Gain an understanding of the work the CBTm Hub Team has done to date in implementing CBTm classes in over 50 sites across Canada (primary care, military, veterans, and self-help organizations) on reducing wait times and improving mental health symptoms.
- Learn how the CBTm content has been adapted for use with a range of populations (public safety personnel, youth, Indigenous populations, etc.).
- Be informed of how to incorporate symptom measures and monitoring of outcomes during the classes.
- Be offered the opportunity to engage clients/patients in a research study to evaluate a free web-based, self-directed CBTm course.
- Receive 7.25 hours of training in CBTm class content
This training workshop may be right for you if:
- You have received training or have experience with CBT
o Those attending the facilitator training workshops are expected to have prior training and experience in offering CBT services. At this time, we do not provide training or certification in conducting CBT.
- You are interested in delivering CBTm at your place of work
Agenda Workshop times are in Central Standard Time zone
0900-1000 Background, Implementation, and the Science Behind CBTm Classes
1000-1015 Overview of Training
1015 -1030 Break
1030-1130 Class 1: CBT Model & Cognitive Therapy
1130-1230 Class 2: Behaviour Therapy & Goal Setting
1230-1300 Lunch Break
1300-1400 Class 3: Healthy Living & Sleep
1400-1500 Class 4: Problem Solving
1515-1615 Class 5: Responding to Stress & Wellness Planning
1615-1645 Implementation, Research, and the Evaluation of CBTm
1645-1715 Questions, Feedback, and Evaluation of the Training
This workshop will be delivered online via Zoom only. Connection details will be emailed to registered participants 24 hours in advance of the session date.
Other health professionals: $65
As Per CPD Medicine policy, the department requires any refund or cancelation request to be submitted in writing up to fourteen (14) days prior to the program or session start date. A $50 administrative fee will be withheld to cover transaction and administrative costs. Refund or cancelation requests made less than fourteen (14) days notice may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
This event is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the CPD Medicine Program, University of Manitoba for a maximum of 7.25 hours.
Participants should only claim credit for the actual number of hours attended.
The University of Manitoba CPD Medicine Program is fully accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Continuing Medical Education (CACME).