Event Date & TimeClick the calendar icon to add events
to your Personal Calendar
* You must be logged in to purchase event tickets.
Catching Babies and Challenging the Medical Status Quo
One-Hour Webinar Presentation: June 2, 2020 12:00 Noon
This webinar will be of interest to family physicians, obstetricians, residents, PAs, nurses, midwives, doulas and other health professionals with an interest in obstetrical care.
At the conclusion of this educational event, participants will be able to:
- Explain the research that outlines the attitudes and beliefs among maternity care providers.
- Discuss the history and outcomes of some common medical procedures related to labor and delivery management.
- Identify the roles health care professionals have in in providing family friendly maternity care.
- Discuss the future of maternity care through an interdisciplinary lens.
Presenter: Michael C. Klein, MD, CM, FCFP, CCFP, FAAP
Dr. Klein is a Professor of family practice at the University of British Columbia, adjunct professor of family medicine at McGill University and senior scientist emeritus at the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute in Vancouver. He is a long-time member of the editorial board of Birth. He was head of the McGill teaching centre and the Department of Family Medicine at the McGill teaching hospital in Montreal for seventeen years, and head of the Department of Family Practice at BC Children’s and Women’s hospitals in Vancouver for ten years.
In 2016, Klein was named to the Order of Canada. The citation reads in part:
Michael Klein has played a vital role in placing maternity care at the heart of family medicine. Motivated by concerns over the harmful effects of certain then widespread medical interventions, he pushed for the adoption of family-friendly birth practices, the re-introduction of midwifery, the promotion of doulas in birth and the elimination of routine intrusive interventions such as episiotomy.
Members of the planning committee for the title side are as follows:
Dr. Alex Singer MD CCFP
Dr. Alon Altman MD FRCSC
Dr. Christine Polimeni MD CCFP