Event Date & TimeClick the calendar icon to add events
to your Personal Calendar
Brandon Regional Health Centre - Nurses Residence Lecture Theatre
* You must be logged in to purchase event tickets.
The Prairie Mountain Health Region is again collaborating with U of M CPD Medicine to offer two popular conferences (in the Fall and Spring) designed to meet learning needs identified by primary care providers in Brandon and surrounding areas. Sessions include a wide range of timely and challenging topics relevant to physicians working in outpatient and inpatient settings who are looking to enhance clinical competence and improve patient care.
- Discuss the management of opioids including common street drugs with a focus on crystal methamphetamine. (medical expert)
- Examine recent updates in stroke guidelines including reviewing the pathophysiology of ischemic stroke, reviewing acute stroke management, and applying the PMH Stroke Protocol. (Medical expert, Scholar)
- Review current evidence for smoking cessation specifically as it applies to vaporizers and e cigarettes. (Medical Expert, Scholar)
- Recognize and describe the presentation and management of at least 5 oncologic emergencies. (Medical Expert)
- Identify recent advances in HIV care including pre and post exposure prophylaxis protocols. (Medical Expert, Scholar)
- Explore best practices in LGTBQ2S care for primary care physicians and explain the role/ services provided by the Brandon Transgender Clinic. (Medical Expert, Collaborator, Health Advocate)
- Explain provincial STBBI epidemiology and discuss STBBI outbreak response strategies and significant challenges that have been identified moving into the future. (Medical Expert, Scholar)
- Describe strategies for preventing physician burnout and optimizing physician wellness. (Professional)
0815 – Registration
0825 – Welcome & Introduction – Corné Vlok, MBCHB, CCFP
0830 – Managing Opioids in Practice – Ginette Poulin, RD, MD, CCFP(AM), CISAM, CMCBT, PLIC
0915 – Stroke Protocol Update – Arturo Tamayo, MD
1000 – Refreshment Break
1015 – To Vape or Not to Vape – Erin Knight, MD, CCFP, ISAM
1100 – Cancer Emergencies in Office & ER – Cornie Woelk, MD, CCFP (PC), FCFP
1145 – Lunch & Visit Display Booths
1315 – Physician Wellness – Jillian Horton, MD, FRCP
1400 – STBBI Crisis: An Update – Amy Frykoda, MD, CCFP, MSc
1445 – Refreshment break
1500 – HIV update – Carine Minders, MBChB, CCFP
1545 – Managing LGBTQ2S patients – Kelby Treloar, MD, CCFP-EM
1630 – Closing Remarks
CBT Workshop – Dr. Lynda Kong, MD, FRCPC
Small Group Skills Workshop: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Primer
Date: November 8, 2019
Time: 1700 – 1900
Location: Brandon Regional Health Centre Nurses Residence N107B
- Explain the evidence that supports the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) in primary care. (family medicine expert, scholar)
- List the clinical conditions for which CBT is indicated. (family medicine expert)
- Explore the CBT techniques that are useful in the primary care setting. (family medicine expert)
- Apply the CBT techniques in a standardized patient interview based on two different clinical scenarios. (family medicine expert, communicator)
Session will be held on Friday November 8 from 1700-1900; registration is not included with the Saturday conference registration. The last day to register for this workshop is October 29th with limited space.
Other health professionals: $125
Skills CBT Workshop: $200
Only paid registrants can receive credits and access speakers’ presentations post-event.
A full refund less a $35 administrative fee will be given if cancelled 14 days or more before each event date. No refund will be given past this date.